Monday, February 27, 2012

I arrived in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, yesterday after some delays due to a cancelled flight. But I was not under time pressure so I just waited it out and it worked out - only about 5 hours later than the original schedule. I was able to let the people in Dar know so the bishop was at the airport to meet me and take me to my hotel. Today, Tuesday, I plan to meet with the bishop and pastors of the Dar es Salaam area, the Eastern District of Tanzania Mennonite Church. My brief conversation with the bishop on the way from the airport is encouraging. They have planted several new churches in the past year and more are planned.

Here I am meeting with the leaders of Nairobi Mennonite churches to discuss their vision for leadership training .

Mathare North Mennonite Church, Nairobi, where I worshipped on Sunday. Mathare is a slum area on the edge of the city and this church has been growing. The church is cooperating with Mennonite Central Committee to operate a primary school, up to grade 8.

Children attending the worship service at Mathare North Mennonite Church.

I had good conversations with church leaders in the Nairobi area. One of the issues that keeps coming up is dealing with the economic problems of the people. Mennonite churches tend to be in poorer areas and members have limited incomes and often the bishops and pastors are unpaid, totally volunteer. This limits the time they have available for church leadership and pastoral care because they must earn a living in other jobs. So that raises the question of how church development is linked to economic development in developing countries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment