Monday, February 27, 2012


Travelers Checks are not very useful

The day before I left for this trip, I went to the local bank to get travelers checks. That is how I have been taking money when I travel for the past 40 years or so. The conversation in the bank was something like this:
“I would like to buy some travelers checks.”
“We don’t sell travelers checks anymore.”
“Really? How do people take money with them when they travel?”
“I don’t really know. I think they use debit cards.”
“Where can I get a debit card? Do you have them?”
“You can try a drug store. They have prepaid debit cards.” (Really? What are banks for? Maybe someday soon I can buy deodorant at the bank.)
So I went to the drug store and bought a prepaid debit card. Later I found that the card provided is only a temporary card and the real card will come in the mail – not before I leave the next day.

The next part of the story is that I have some travelers checks left from a trip 8 years ago – amounting to $100. So at least I have that much. When I was in Nairobi, I tried to cash them at a bank. “We don’t cash travelers checks. Go to an exchange bureau.” Good, I thought, I am going to the airport in a couple days, I will cash them there. “We are regulated by the government, and cannot cash travelers checks unless you have just come into the country. You have been here 2 days already. You must cash them inside airport security.” Inside the airport, “We can’t cash them here, you must cash them in the arrivals area, after you pass immigration but before you leave the airport.” So I still carrying $100 in travelers checks that no one wants. I will try when I pass through Nairobi airport again later this week. If all else fails, I will try to go back to the bank in USA where I bought them 8 years ago. In any case, I will know the next time.
Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment