Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Trip update - Dar es Salaam

I arrived in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, yesterday after some delays due to a cancelled flight. But I was not under time pressure so I just waited it out and it worked out - only about 5 hours later than the original schedule. The bishop met me at the airport and took me to the hotel. Today I met with the bishop and some of the pastors of the Dar es Salaam area, the Eastern Diocese of Tanzania Mennonite Church. They have planted several new churches in the past year and are well on their way to reach their goal of 10 new churches and 2,000 more members in 3 years, beginning 2010.

Dar does not seem to be quite as congested as Nairobi, people are just a little more laid back. This morning I took a walk through part of the city when I went to find a place to change some money, and came back through some side streets - the only white face around, and probably one of the few that ever show up in those parts. It is certainly not the tourist part of town. 

On Sunday worshiped at Mathare North Mennonite Church in Nairobi. Mathare is a slum area on the edge of the city known for its poverty and this church has been growing. The church is cooperating with Mennonite Central Committee to operate a primary school grades 1 to 8.

You can check our blog at joegloriabontrager.blogspot.com for updates and a few pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment